[at-l] Before You Leave for the RUCK

I'm hoping you have time before all of you leave for the RUCK to provide a little insight for me.  The problem is, after a couple years on this list and a much shorter time on the other list, I'm still not clear about what to wear.  I've read the discussions about polypro vs coolmax, I know cotton kills, I learned that one pound of boot = 7 pounds of pack weight, I now know more than I ever wanted to learn about esoteric items such as pit zips, alternate uses for zip locks, and bear bags.  But I still don't know what to wear, or more importantly, why I want to wear exactly that....

My hiking in the past has accumulated many, many miles but it was always done in warm weather where it didn't much matter how I was dressed as long as I stayed well hydrated. (I always hiked in long pants -khaki- because of an extreme sensitivity to poison ivy and short sleeve denim work shirts.) Rain simply meant hiking cooler, for the most part. Now I will be hiking four or five days in February where I'm likely to encounter some rain but probably won't see any snow - or if I do, it won't be much. Temps might be in the mid to high 60's although more likely in the 40-50 degree range. Lows at night might be in the mid twenties but more likely in the low to mid 30's.

Will some of you experienced folks tell me what you would wear for this hike - from the skin out - and more importantly, why?  BTW, I have the boot/sock equation all figured out.  Thanks a bunch.  My wonderfully supportive wife said last week that she was tired of listening to me complain about not having any fleece and handed me a stack of $20 bills (a very short stack) for my birthday and told me not to come back until I had what I needed.  Wow!  I'm planning on going shopping while y'all are driving to the RUCK.

Al (Draggin' Anchor)