Re: [at-l] bivies

>######Sloetoe recalls:
>The "dryness" issue was, eventually, answered easily — I didn't worry about
it. No tarpage, eventually. (!!!) But I used my parka shell like you
probably use your poncho.
>I carried enough food — and would repack as needed — that I could set up or
break camp in the pouring rain without exposing my sleeping bag to wetness
for more than perhaps 5 seconds. First, I'd try to have dinner in a leanto,
sheltered and out of the way. I'd repack with some attention to the likely
camping scenario and/or morning situation, and move on. Making camp involved
taking out the bivy, flipping it open on the ground, slipping the sleeping
pad thru the opening, and then the sleeping bag. I'd take the sleeping bad
out of the stuff sack, secure it into the crook of my arm, puch the foot of
the bivy toward the mouth, grab the end of the sleeping bag with the foot of
the bivy, and pull it in. It never got out of the shelter of my parka shell.
>Into the back ("top") of the bivy, I'd throw my boots (upright, so they'd
hold the bivy off my face), spare clothes, peanut butter/granola bars for
dry/cold morning breakfast, if needed, and water. Flashlight went into a
boot. Nighty-nite! The morning was basically a reversal of the whole
process.
>Bet it sounds familiar! Just a matter of either decamping quickly (between
bursts) OR simply making sure the weather shell stays wider than the bivy
mouth.

>Mostly warm and dry,
>Sloetoe

Auntie Coosa ponders:

Well, with the huge opening of the Salathe' -- I think my poncho cover is
best.  I can set it up between two trees if it's raining or likely to and do
similarly as you with the set up and break down of my 'camp' ---

I'm going to buy another poncho (not make one unless someone's got one out
of Silnylon I can purchase) and put plastic grommets along the sides and
ties to close it up and keep it from flapping.  Mine has metal snaps that I
added and I'm not happy with it.  With grommets, I could lace it up tight if
needed.  And Campmor's has velcro on the back to make the hood fit better.
I like that.

NOW, the BEARS, MICE, RACOONS and ETC didn't bother you with the food in
your bivy?

I put my shoes on their sides on either side of the bivy (outside), with my
ski poles, too, to keep me from moving around at night.  With the
poncho-tarp, it has worked well even in the rain.

Auntie Coosa