Re: [at-l] bivies

At 02:49 PM 1/24/00 -0500, Thomas McGinnis wrote:

>#######################(Dig those crazy train tracks!)
>dlc, hit www.integraldesigns.com and check out the South Wall bivy. It'll
>weigh in at a pound ena half, cost about US$150-175, is bombproof, and has
>no extraneous moving parts, like hoops, steaks, or fries. I used a bivy on
>my (1979) throughhike, was *going* to use a bivy on the now-cancelled 2000
>throughhike, and recommend ID bivies without reservation. [etc.]

Actually, I was looking at that this morning!  I just didn't know how it
compared to anything else, so the fact that you recommend it is a good
sign, thanks.  Thanks also for all the bivy-related advice - I carried a
way too heavy two person tent this past year (until I swapped out for the
tarp very late in the game) and am NOT doing that again :) .  It's good to
hear what worked for someone else!

>5) Bivies are NOT claustrophobic (actually, wouldn't it be
>'claustrophobical'?) ¯ at least no more than the dang sleeping bag
>inserted inside it. You are not pinned down or scrunched up or confined in
>a bivy ¯ you can move around all night, stand up and see the sights, lean
>up and cook, whatever.
>Sometime I'll tell ya about hopping out of the way of the freight train
>while sleeping in back of the Cloverdale Virginia PO.
>Sloetoe
>("Bivy my heart on the ol' AT")

Okay, you're right - the bivy is not claustrophobic (or maybe it is - maybe
we should get it counselling?).  I knew that at the time, but didn't feel
like figuring out how to properly say it...  And claustrophobia is an
incredibly relative thing, I've noted (I am fairly claustrophobic - to the
point that the Mahoosac Notch made me VERY claustrophobic, despite all the
northbounders who told me it wouldn't.), but your report is very
encouraging as far as claustrophobia and bivies; I think I'm going to try
it regardless and see if you're right!

The post office story sounds...fun.  Really.  :)

--Sometime
ME->VA '99
GA->VA '00