[at-l] another trail-related book

Greetings to the list--

I just finished reading "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", a novel by Stephen
King. It's about a 9 year-old girl who goes for a hike on the AT in Maine,
gets off the trail, and gets *very* lost.

King is a master of the twisted psychological thriller (he's definitely not
a 'slasher' writer), and this book is quite good. Like the movie 'The Blair
Witch Project,' it would probably be much more terrifying to people who
never spent any time in the woods. But it's still interesting to
backpackers -- the girl does some things right, and some things very wrong.
And most AT hikers who are familiar with the area around the Maine-New
Hampshire border will realize that King took some liberties with his
descriptions of the area.

The story hits a little too close to home for me, since I have a 9 year old
daughter. But I couldn't put it down, and I would recommend it. It was
published in 1999, and our library just got it in a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers, and happy winter weather.

Ken