Re: [at-l] Black Fly Season Begins.......

Why do I always answer these bug questions?

Tim, expect to see black flies starting in late April/May or so down
here (Dalton).  Their range extends northward as the snow melts. In
early season, they seem to have a ceiling, the later in the year, the
higher they go.  In late May '98, there were pretty dense on the LT
up to about 2800/3000 ft, but at Goddard shelter (Glastonbury Mtn.),
there were none.

By July there are none in Mass, they have been replaced by mosquitos.
This year has been strange: very warm early winter w/o snow, and
right now atypically very cold (remember, averages are deceiving).
The critters come from larvae that grow in cold clean clear streams
full of snowmelt.  It seems that an abundance of clean water (good)
produces an abundance of bugs (bad?--averages again).  Density of
bugs varies season to season.

Do not be put off by the bugs, hike anyway (maybe you'll get lucky
and it will rain every day).  I'd bring a long sleeved undershirt and
lightweight long pants or long johns, Unlike mosquitoes, they can't
pierce the weave of fabric (they're chewers, not pokers).  And be
sure and bring a tent. A tarp w/o netting is a bad idea.  A head net
is a good idea too, but it's difficult to eat in.  Expect several
bites/day.  Wear them proudly.

Strong concentrations of DEET (Ben's 100) work for a while, but I
sweat it off pretty quick, so I usually only apply it at breaks.
They hover annoyingly, but don't land long enough to bite.  I also
spray it on the outside of my hiking hat (baseball cap) and under the
brim.

As long as you keep moving they can't get you...

Cosmo
"There are three great times for thinking --
  On the john, in the shower, and while hiking.
  And the best of these is while hiking."
         --Colin Fletcher.