[at-l] G4 Pack Update

I thought I'd pass this along.

Ultralight Enthusiast-

I ordered fabric today for 65 packs - 25 black, 25 royal and 15 red.  It
should get to the manufacturer in a few days.  I also sent a detailed
analysis of the manufacturer's sample to him.  I am going back to cordura on
the side bottom panels.  It will add a very small amount of weight, but will
greatly increase durability.  Also, thanks to Kurt Russell of Wanderlust
Gear, we have a modification of the shoulder strap bottom that will spread
out the stress on the fabric, and pull the bottom of the pack up towards the
small of your back.  Thanks for the great idea, Kurt!

I currently have checks for 27 packs in hand, and another 15 orders without
checks.

I want to point out that the G4 pack is designed to be used with a 6- or
8-section Z-rest pad, BUT THE PACK DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PAD.  I only mention
it in case someone was going to be leaving the day after they get the pack on
the AT, and hadn't thought to already order the Z-Rest.  If you want to add a
Z-Rest to your order, send a $16 (6-section) or $18 (8-section) check and I
will throw one in.  I recommend you get your own, but wanted to make the
offer, and make sure everyone was aware that the pad was not included.
Several people I know of are planning to try using other pad systems... I
don't know how they will or won't work.

It has come to my attention that several customers are planning on leaving
for the AT in February.  If you are leaving on a major trip and hope to have
your G4 pack, please email me with the last date you will be able to receive
mail before leaving.  I will do my best to get you your pack on time
(assuming I have your check on time), but can make no guarantees due to
factors beyond my control.  If push comes to shove, you may consider leaving
me a general delivery address along the way.  Hopefully we will be able to
accomodate everyone.

Hike on!

--Glen "Homemade" Van Peski
  gvp@home.com