Re: [at-l] Black Fly Season Begins.......

>I'm beginning my planning for a spring hike from Dalton, MA to somewhere up
>in NH, maybe 100 or 125 miles.  Does anyone know when the black flies begin
>to appear along the AT in this area?

Depends on the weather, but usually May is the Black fly season followed by a
big crop of mosquitoes for June.  Sometimes they overlap then we have a lot
of fun.  Blackflies are a problem when you stop moving otherwise you learn to
live with them.  Be prepared to put a protective layer of clothing own when
you stop.  I don't think 125 miles will get you too far into NH from Dalton.
Maybe to Hanover.  And have a wonderful hike.

                                Art