Re: [at-l] greetings

Sounds like the usual start! The key thing is to use less gear than you
think you need. Depending on when you like to hike, you can adjust
nicely.First, consider your emergency kit. Get a fanny pack, and put what
you really need of the first aid kit, ID, matches, iodine tabs, compass,
mirror, whistle, _small_ knife, large garbage sacks (an emergency shelter),
and mylar blanket in it. This is not a complete list, but the idea is that
once you are in the woods, never take this off.

Next look at your clothes. Anything cotton (underwear, jeans, shirts, hats,
and such) stay at home. Go to Target, Big Lots, KMart, and such to find
light and cheap polyester pants, fleece layers for undies and warmth, wool
socks (athletic), and look at shells or wind gear. Surprisingly, many
department stores already have great gear on sale to dump stuff before
spring sales. Also, look for the outlets in your area. A friend has shown
me that fishing stores are often fabulous gear shops.

Weigh the bag, and decide how warm it is. I use a very expensive zero
degree down bag (and will for the rest of my life) for any weather likely
to be below 50 degrees. I use a $20 fleece Target bag most of the time. You
stay warm with extra clothes on, and simultaneously dry them at night. Plan
on a light and cheap closed cell mat, ZRest or Ridgeway will cost between
$15-30. This is essential for warmth and cushion.

I would leave the dome tent at home. Plan on the shelters for now, or
consider a tarp. Other choices include a nifty hammock system I saw at REI
for about $80. You still want a tarp to keep gear out of the weather, as
well as yourself while cooking.

Consider making an alcohol stove from beer cans or such. Cheap and light,
and just too simple to break.

And start thinking about food. I find a day's food fits a quart sized
ziplock, including 3 meals and snacks, and bulges. Always carry one extra
day food. Lipton's, cup of soup, snickers bars, poptarts, and such are
fine. A cheap aluminum pot will hold your cook stove and gear, maybe a
day's supply of food.

Now put this all in a stack. I'll bet you may find an old bookbag that just
about fits. You may even find cheapy good packs at Costco and such this
spring, as well as the above cheap stores. Before you know it, you will be
an ultralighter, and telling others what to get.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA