Re: [at-l] new to the list

At 11:36 AM 1/16/00 EST, Tayta15@aol.com wrote:
>Just wanted to say hello to everyone on the list and introduce myself as a
>newcomer to here.My name is Rich Petitto,age 29,originally from New England
>and now residing in Orlando,Florida.
>
>My hiking experience are limited and far between for my boyhood until the
age
>of 25 when i moved out to Dallas for a stint.I have not hiked an inch since
>but have decided to take some time in life and hike the AT.I heard people
>describe it as taking time off from everyday life but I want to hike it to
>experience life !
>
>I have read about the 90% dropout rate and agree with others i talked with
so
>far that it will not be easy going for me because of my lack of recent trail
>experience.But hey...the harder they say it is the more determined I am to
>give it an honest try.
>
>I have no idea what questions to ask here right off the get go and might
lurk
>around listening to the group for a while to catch on to the lingo.I would
>really appreciate any advice on planning,essential equipment ..clip..

The most essential piece of equipment is located between your ears.
Completion of a thru-hike is 90-95% attitude. People have completed
thru-hikes on little or no experience. They have done it with the most
elementary of equipment. Many of the 90+% who drop out have the latest and
greatest gear and perhaps even considerable short term hiking/camping
experience. Being out for 5-7 months is DIFFERENT. Glean what wisdom you
can here but only your own attitude will get you from GA to ME. Welcome to
the campfire.

Saunterer