Re: [at-l] alcohol vs dry gas

I'd go to my local "Quicky Mart" or whatever. On the AT, you will find it
at Neel's Gap, 3-4 days out. You will stop about 5-7 days later in
Franklin, and find it in several places, most likely the hardware store
next to the Franklin Motel. After that, Davenport or Hot Springs, NC and on
into VA.

BTW, some auto parts places don't sell the Methanol based line dryer
because it is hell on rubber fuel lines. When you find it, it will be
cheaper due to the fact that most knowledgeable drivers avoid it after
clogging their fuel injectors. Also, be sure to label fuel bottles with
methanol. You don't want some idiot to assume your "alcohol:" is potable
and wind up blind (or worse).

I think too much worry is going into fuel availability. The important thing
is to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your chosen stove well
before hitting Springer. If you learn how to budget your fuel, and avoid
wasting it as fire starter, you will do fine. At the very worst, you will
share a pot or 2 with a trail friend.

After all, the AT has a hell of a lot more people than Eastern Oregon! <g>

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA