[at-l] Long Trail

say it)

I have lived in Vermont 60 years and hiked on the Long Trail 50. Depending on
the year black flies are generally tolerable by July. Of course mosquitos and
deer flies come after the black flies. After the first part of August insects
are generally not a problem. In some dry years water can be a problem in
August however the "trail telegraph" keeps people informed as to where to get
water. It generally may mean carrying it a ways but most years water is not a
problem like it can be on the AT in the central states. I generally agree
September is nice, the "kids" are gone and the landscape is beautiful. The
flip side is the days are shorter and frost is possible anytime and it is
hurricane season. October is nice but the weather is colder and snow is
possible anytime on the higher elevations.

I hope this helps.

The Old RidgeRunner