Re: [at-l] Ruck Recon

At 04:34 PM 1/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Sooooo.....anyone with any questions about the campground, the area, the
>hostel, the park or anything else that I might be able to learn
>tomorrow.....now's the time.
>Any questions?
>
>1) BTW, I believe that, as of this morning, they were all full up. Anybody
>cancelling? Also, if you care to tent, the nearest campsites are a 5
>minute walk away, according to Sean. (Nice guy on the phone. But he did
>reiterate the "No Camping on Grounds." state park policy ¯ even if you've
>paid for a hostel spot, although he understood about the need to set up
>tents. I'd push that one, k; I think he might be flexible.)

It's not Sean that will be enforcing that rule.  Last year, during the tent
show, we had a
visit from the Park Ranger.  We explained that we were doing show and tell
and drool,
but I thought I detected a hint of "I'll be back"  in his demeanor <g>.  If
someone can't do the
bucks for the campground, we still have an offer of  "scholarships" from an
antonymous
lister willing to pay for the camping and day fee for prospective thruhikers!!!

>2) For those of us silly enough to challenge kahley's chili

Ahh yes....Pa's finest Sweet Chunky Amish Fungus Chili

>  making abilities, how much chili should we prepare? I'm going to make
> mine soon, and freeze it. I'm thinking a gallon? And Pasta? Should I call
> mine "Pasta la Vista, Baby" instead of Tom's Industrial Strength Chili?

I figure a gallon per outta do it!   Pasta?  what are you.... weird?

>3) What about them pancakes? Gene's All Day? I presume that kitchen will
>have skillets/griddle space sufficient to do a hostel's worth, before
>people get hostile.

Shall check

>And I've got enough mix'uns to make 50 or so, so do we think more?.....

Nope
If they be as awesome as ye say,
I think sharing will save the day!
And perhaps people will offer to supplement with 'lesser fare'?

>And I'll be making them "live" Saturday morning "on demand", instead of
>making them here and freezing them ¯ I got this horrible picture of 45
>defrosting pancakes, and figured staring down hungry hiker-types was the
>lesser evil. And Sigh-Wrap. Whattah we got for Sigh-Wrap?

Shall check

>  Mrs. Gorp, Ma'am? Should I hit Sam's Club for discount maple (where's
> that from, sir?) and the 5 gallon Mrs. Butterworth's?

Mrs Gorp saves the day!
With certified Vermont Maples
Or so they say <g>

>4) Sounds like those needing slide action have things in hand. Do we have
>TV/VCR action at the hostel?

Believe so but shall check!

>Do we have tapes coming? I have a bunch, but I don't need to bring them
>all AGAIN if they're already there.

Maybe coordinate with Ginny and Jim?  They have a good collection too.  But
they may still be in storage.

>5) What about the rest of our "eats"? Should we plan/bring our own food
>and ad lib group meals from there? Should we shoot for some other plan?

Friday Nite is jar sauce and pasta (my treat) unless someone volunteers to
do better <g>.
Sat morning is Gene's Pancakes
Saturday lunch is Stone Soup in veggie and carnivore style
Saturday nite is the Pot Luck and the Chili tasting
Sunday morning, Dr Gary and Millie are doing blueberry heaven (pancakes)
Other than that yer on your own!  Remember this place is in the boonies and
the campstore is not open this time of year.  Short time supply maybe 5-7
miles away but long term....maybe Carlisle.  Shall effort to check.

One word about the pot luck.....I have learned from experience <g>.
.......folks
e-me and ask what  they should bring.  With the exception of me begging
Sanpiper to repeat her
veggie lasagna, I ain't gonna tell ya!  Not my job <g>.  But I will tell ya
what is coming so far...

Pittsia's Nutter Butter Pies
Pasta salad of unknown configuration <g>
Black bean Lasagna
Oodles of carrots and taters and such for soup, salads and general muchin'
A note for folks who are flying in.....maybe ya'll could get together and
buy another, wonderful
Smithfield (?) ham once you get to PA?  It was sure a hit last year, looked
like piranha hit that bone
and would save you from holding food on your lap on the plane.<g>.  Of
course filet for forty
would do nicely as well...LOL
And of course there is always pie <VVVBG>.

On important note.....there is only ONE fridge at the hostel, or at least
that was the case
last year.  We definitely ran outta fridgee space.  The folks that
are driving, can, bring your own cooler?

And for those cooking challenged, since there is the possibility of a
campfire at the
hostel, someone could bring wood?  I'll check on the harvesting rules in
the park,
but it may be a bring yer own rule.  it is my memory that there is a
roadside wood vendor on the way into the park but i shall check.
Last year at Sat supper there must have been at least eighty people but in
true loaves and fishes
manner, all were stuffed.