[at-l] just another day off........

...  and bored, with nothing to do.  So I layed on the couch and picked up
this months edition on The Potomac Appalachian.  Hmmm, what do we have here?
A new shelther, here in Maryland.  Ho, ho, ho, I need a walk anyway.  Cheryl
let's go!

Wait, hold on let's see if the guidebook or map have anything about it.
Using '95 editions, nothing was on the map (they often have future relos),
but the guidebook did say something of a pending relo.

So we took the trip, only a twenty minute drive from here to check out the
new shelther that replaces the one at Hemlock Hills.

Ok, which way to we go?  Let's take the old trail til it meets the new trail
and go from there.  Look, a white blaze painted over, that's the way.  A
short distance later, there it is ,a freshly painted white blaze, now which
way?  Uphill, of course, away from the road!  Upon reaching the ridge, there
was no new shelther.  Ok, out with the map, hmmm, no water up here, but
water's down there, across the road.  It's nice up here though, isn't it?

Down the trail across the road, a blue blaze.  That's gotta be it.  Nah,
turned out to be the new blue to the old parking area.  Check out that skull,
looks like a very big bird, must be a dog.

More new white and another blue, ah hah, now we have it!  Pretty nice spring
box, that is, think I'll take a picture.

It can't be much futher away and it wasn't, yet down another new blue.  It
was a awesome shelter, windows with small upper deck, picnic table out front
and a fire pit. New privy!  Just being there.

It's called the ENS Phillip Cowall Memorial Shelter, and was dedicated in
October. The register was from the old Hemlock Hills shelther.  The last two
entries by flip flopping thru-hikers (ga>hf<me) were December 17th by Karma
Suture who intended to hike the thirty miles the next day to Harpers Ferry
and Skatesurfer (maybe boarder) who was there Jan. 3rd.

I got home and took a nap.

Sly