RE: [at-l] New Hampshire Idiots, Volume 2

> I have to say something about, I think, Ron's last post on the
> subject.  That being the
> different levels of reimbursement.  If a fully equipped
> experienced climber
> makes a bad call,
> pushing the envelope, I think he is just as culpable as three
> idiots with a
> pack full of beer.
> Otherwise it does smack of punishment.  I know it might
> really grind on the
> SAR folks
> to be out there for three nuts, 100yd off the trail, but to
> me, the pro who
> pushes the
> weather or his abilities is just as nutty..maybe more cause
> the greater
> level of experience
> should make them more aware of possible danger.  Equal
> treatment.....equal
> charges.

I quite agree, but one question...when was the last time you heard of a
professional climber, etc. needing to be rescued? I'm not saying it doesn't
happen, but it is very rare. Most of the "professionals" that are out there
don't push the envelope and they don't go it alone if they do. The majority
of these rescues involve inexperienced solo hikers, typically day hikers,
not climbers, long distance backpackers, etc. We all can remember stories of
"real" rescues, where a hiker (not a day hiker) broke a leg or fell ill and
had to be evac'd, but that isn't what this law is targeted at.