[at-l] New Hampshire Idiots, Volume 2

      I've been getting a lot of mail recently regarding several of my posts
that commented on the new legislation in New Hampshire that grants
authorities the right to bill for backcountry rescues that are deemed
unnecessary or preventable.  I was publicly taken to task by several listers
who objected to my tone and language, and by some who felt that I didn't
include enough details of some of these incidents, and that I was passing
judgment on folks without getting enough information.

     If there's anyone out there who still feels this way, I urge you to
check out a story in The Union Leader
(www.theunionleader.com/articles_show.html?article=5728) which pretty much
validates everything I was trying to say.

     The sad truth is that there ARE idiots out there, who seem determined
to get themselves killed, and worse, to take some rescuers with them.
Billing these morons for their folly, and publicizing their foolishness may
be the only way to prevent an increase in these incidents.  I should add
that publicizing these events, and publicizing that you're billing folks for
their stupidity may also save some lives.  All I know, is that if something
isn't done, and soon, there's going to be a major tragedy in the mountains
in New Hampshire before long.  It's entirely preventable, it doesn't have to
happen, and how anyone can oppose the new legislation is beyond my ability
to comprehend.  Those of us who live in New Hampshire feel that this is long
overdue, but don't take my word for it; read the article, and decide for
yourselves.