Re: [at-l] fuel

Paul Haan wrote:

> A lurker poses a question:
>
> How easy is it to get denatured alcohol along the trail?  Is it sold bulk
> like Coleman or should one be prepared to use an alternative source like
> gas line antifreeze?  Any thru hikers use an alcohol stove; and if so, how
> did you cope?

Denatured is fairly easy to get. You can get it at MOST hardware stores. The
worst part is that you have to buy it by the quart. (If not gallon.) You can
mail it ahead, though. Use plastic, not metallic, bottles. I put mine in a
soda  or bottled-water bottle, then a ziplock. I'm not sure if any of the
places that sell Coleman by the ounce sell denat. by the ounce as well. You
can sometimes find it in cupboards and sheds, too. (Always ask first.)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98