Re: [at-l] Should I listen to the signs?!?

Hey Kristen,

>Since I made my desicion to thru-hike last June, you would not BELIEVE how
many things are working against me for >this hike!!

In '93, as a result of stress induced by divorce, I started suffering a
'Clockwork Orange' like syndrome--in any situation which was REMOTELY
uncomfortable for me, a loud roaring would occur in my left ear.  This
would happen to me many times a day; I would have to stop everything I was
doing and wait for the tremors to subside, which sometimes would take
several minutes.  I was sick of my work but afraid to let it go.  I was
hoping to get away for a couple of months to hike ME,NH,VT on the AT, but
it just seemed impossible to disentangle myself from the 'matrix.'  But I
did it anyway, and after a few weeks of hiking my syndrome improved.  And
the world was still there when I got back.  I returned with a renewed
strength to cope with, well, life.

This past summer I couldn't get a contractor to give me the time of day to
fix my driveway, so I started into the project myself, tore up my entire
front yard, gave up my plan to go to the Wind Rivers in the fall, and
generally just made a huge mess.  It's not finished--there are still
building materials sitting about, collecting snow.  That's an inducement to
stay.

Yesterday my right hand man at work negotiated a much larger bonus than I
had been thinking about as compensation for my extended absence, so my
financial hit for taking time off during my "prime money earning years" has
just doubled.  That's an inducement to stay.

I've been single (and basically dateless) for six years.  A few different
friends are trying to fix me up with various ladies.  That's an inducement
to stay.

As you know, I'll be leaving behind the most important lady in my life, my
daughter Angela.  That, believe me, is an inducement to stay.

But when I return, my driveway project will be waiting for me.  My right
hand man will still be working for me, because he got what he wanted.  I'll
give and get the biggest hug of my life with Angela.  And (I've been
assured) there will waiting at my house a block-long line of ladies.
Without departure, there can be no homecoming.

Since you made your decision to through hike last June, how many things
have been working FOR you?

R.