Re: [at-l] Should I listen to the signs?!?

At 06:44 PM 1/7/00 -0500, Tim Hewitt wrote:
>If you wait for "the perfect time" you may never go.

This reminds me of a cute poem I read once. I can give the gist of it
(though not in rhyme). It described a bride of advanced years, white hair,
wrinkles, cane, etc. walking down the aisle toward her groom, toothless,
bald and in a wheelchair. The final line went something like 'this is the
sensible couple who waited to be married when they could afford it'.

Is a thru-hike what you really, really want to do? Your head won't tell
you, we can't tell you, The "signs", whatever they are, won't tell you.
That little voice inside is the only one to trust. Joseph Campbell advised
his students to "follow your bliss". That's great advice. There will always
be 'sensible' and even attractive alternatives to your dream.

As I said to my son when he was faced with moving across country for a job
he really wanted in a place he isn't crazy about, "if it's what you
*really* want, if it's a life dream that you won't be happy until it's
fulfilled, remember that it's easier now than when you are older, have
children and other commitments. You don't want to reach 40 or 50 years old
and be asking yourself "I wonder how things would have turned out if I had
[insert your life dream here]".

Saunterer