Josh!
Spill!
Trip Report, dude!

>>> Joshua Colvin <joshuacolvin@usa.net> 12/21/99 08:57AM >>>
Hello again!

First, I want to thank everyone for their offers and suggestions during my
trip up to northern GA this Xmas vacation. They were all very thoughtful and
very much appreciated. Weather (and whether I can rid myself of this cold!)
will mostly determine how long the hike will be.

Second, it's been suggested I post what I'm planning to take with me, since
I've never gone hiking before. So here y'all go! Comments are more than
welcome.

Thanks again. I really enjoy the list!

Josh

Hike Length: 4-6 days total
Hike Locale: Amicalola Falls and northward on AT for 2-3 days, then return
             south.
Start Date: Dec 26th (will arrive late)

Hiking Supplies

  Basics
  1 2-person tent
  1 down sleeping bag
  1 sleeping pad
  1 external frame backpack

  Clothing
  1 set long john's
  1 standard military field jacket w/liner
  1 sweater
  1 pair glove liners (no, I don't own actual gloves :) )
  2 t-shirts
  1 pair of long pants
  2 pairs of socks
  2 pairs of undies
  1 boonie hat
  1 cotton hat for keeping warm

  Medical
  1 first aid kit + manual
  1 venom extractor kit
  1 jar of water purifying tablets
  foot powder
  moleskin
  sunscreen
  soap

  Misc
  1 roll TP
  bug spray  <---- don't think I need this
  flashlight
  duct tape
  1 pocket knife
  garbage bag
  35 mm camera + extra zoom lens
  lots of film
  matches

  Food
  2-person dinnerware set
  1 tiny stove (and fuel)
  1 can opener
  1 fork/knife/spoon
  6 PBJ sammiches
  6 15 oz. beef stew cans
  6 packets o' oatmeal
  snacks (yet to be determined)
  1 water bottle

  Things I still need: poncho for backpack
                       poncho for me
                       whistle
                       compass
                       more water bottles or canteen or bladder
                       rope?

  2 Questions
  1) I've been told I can park my car at Amicalola Falls and pick it up
     4-6 days later with no problem. Is this a safe assumption?

  2) I assume toilet facilities are dig a hole and let'er rip?