[at-l] maildrop schedule ideas. . .

     Rick---

       I don't know if you've resolved the question of not wanting to hitch
to town or take rides.  It's certainly possible to re-supply without relying
on cars, but it'll sure be tough, especially in Maine, where in several
cases, re-supply by foot would entail a LOOONG roadwalk.   Hope you
re-consider this.

       Whatever you decide to do, here are a few ideas that came immediately
to mind after looking at your preliminary list:

        1)Instead of Elk Park, I'd send a package to Kincora Hostel, in
Dennis Cove, near Hampton, TN.  First off, re-supply in Elk Park ain't that
great.  Secondly, Kincora is .2 off the Trail, saving you the trip to Elk
Park.  Thirdly, you're gonna want to visit Kincora anyway as it's the finest
hostel on the Trail, and Bob and Pat Peoples, who run it, will happily hold
your mail/packages til you get there.

        2)Most folks find Bland a better place to resupply than Bastian.
Better market, eateries, etc.

        3)I'd send your mail to Bascom Lodge atop Mt. Greylock, rather than
Cheshire, for a number of reasons:  Even tho you pass right thru Cheshire,
re-supply isn't that great, and the Post Office may be closed when you get
there.  Also, don't plan to stay overnight as the church hostel there is
now CLOSED.  You can pick up your mail at Bascom ANY time, as it's open 7
days a week and is directly on the Trail; also, picking up your maildrop at
the TOP of Mt. Greylock means you don't have to haul it 8 miles, mostly
up-hill, after you leave Cheshire.  Greylock can be kind of a beast,
especially in hot weather; it's a good stiff climb, without a lot of water.
Why carry a fat maildrop all the way up the mountain when it's just as easy
to retrieve it at the top?

       4)I'd very carefully re-consider using Mt. Washington as a
maildrop--it is NOTORIOUS for having irregular hours and a schedule that
hikers cannot rely on on.  I've known or heard of hikers every year  who
arrived on the summit only to discover that the P.O. was unexpectedly
closed.   It's a lousy place to find yourselves short on supplies and maps.

      Otherwise, your list seems fine, tho I hope you'll reconsider the
decision to fore-go hitching or accepting rides.  I feel you're making the
trip tougher than it needs to be.  The food you're gonna eat arrived at the
store in a truck or van; what difference does it make how YOU arrive at the
store, provided you don't miss any part of the Trail in getting there?  And
by refusing to accept rides, you're eliminating the possibility of side
trips off-Trail, to visit points of scenic or historic interest, to visit
friends, to stay as guests with people you meet on your journey, etc.
Nearly every thru-hiker has great times and adventures  during their trip
that take place OFF trail, and most folks would really regret giving up
these opportunities.   Your "foot" journey of a lifetime does not have to be
a foot journey in its entirety.  For most folks, 2167 miles of Trail is
sufficient.

                             In any case, best of luck with your planning
and trip, however you end up doing it.

                                              --Baltimore Jack