[at-l] re: Hover car to favorite fishing hole?

>rying to impress other people at cocktail parties--or over a beer--with
>stories of your hiking exploits?

HEh..my buddies already heard all my stories :-) So now we just drink
beer.. (ah...haven't done that in a while, one of the few things I miss
from Rhode Island, having a few with good friends)

I learned a long time ago not tobrag. There is always someone who did
more, did better, did it faster, etc...  My own adventures were for me.
Plus, do you know how most of the population views long distance hiking?
(When they find out such a thing exists).

"Buncha unemployed bums"....

Yes, to most people, taking 6 mos out of work to go hiking is something
along the lines
well, being unemployed at home.
Don' forget..this is America..land of the most hours per week worked in
the world (hey..we even beat Japan at that!), where success is defined by
how big the home and car is (and how big your debt is to finance it!).
etc.

So, to sum up this rambling post... bragging about my hiking exploits
would get a
"Oh that is interesting"...while the person is thinking "He took six
months off from work
 to go camping?"

So, I just tell my stories to people who mean something to me. To
everyone else, I am just a guy with a beard. :-)

Mags

"..and felt indeed as if I was truly repaid for the toil and pain of the
day, so much will a  good shelter, a dry bed, and comfortable supper
revive the sperits of the wayred, wet and hungry traveler."

----- from the journal of Meriwether Lewis