Re: [at-l] Civil War books/Sigurd Olson book

Thanks, everyone.  I've gotten so many responses already for places to look
for the Rodale set.  Some I had tried before, many are new.  I'm going to get
right on it!

...And $50 for the 2-volume set beats the best quote I'd received so far
(which was $75, plus shipping -- and only *if* they could get their hands on
this out-of-print set.)  I've been on that waiting list for over a year.

Did I ever mention how much I love this group?!

Leslie asked: <<  Who is Sigurd Olsen?  What kind of books? >>

Olson was an "outdoorsman" and outdoor education leader from Minnesota.  At a
time when most folks were pushing for land development and industrial
applications for our natural resources, he was a strong advocate for
preservation.  An avid canoeist, he had been President of the National Parks
Association and then a board member.   (Sorry, I had spelled his name
incorrectly in my original post -- I guess I think all the world is Danish!)

The book I'm reading now, "The Singing Wilderness" has this to say about the
book (from its dustcover):  "A vibrant book of discovery that re-creates the
sights and sounds of the Quetico-Superior country and explores with deep
insight the permanent values of a great wilderness area."

Through 34 chapters he takes the reader through all the seasons, if read in
order.  But I'm thinking that each chapter could stand alone.  Most chapters
are short and would make excellent "contemplations for the day," if read
daily.  Some of the chapter titles are:   "The Storm," "Smell of Morning,"
Moon Magic," "Silence," Pine Knots," "The Last Mallard," "Wilderness Music,"
and "Timber Wolves."   He is simply eloquent.

He offers practical outdoor advice, but mostly he writes about how the
wilderness and natural surroundings evoke a sense of awe in him.   He never
preaches about conservation; instead, he lets the reader see what he sees
about the wonder of nature.  He quotes from other great minds, like Thoreau
(my favorite).  Some of the practices he writes about are outdated (like
campfires, about which he writes a great deal -- but then few could argue
that a campfire isn't still a powerful and inspiring experience), but mostly
what he writes about is that almost ineffable stuff that eternally draws all
of us to the wilderness.

The other title that I have is "Runes of the North" -- which I cannot comment
on, as I loaned the book to my dad.  Other titles (per the dust cover) are:
The Listening Point and The Lonely Land.

I had found these books at the camp that I worked at this summer.  They
looked intriguing, so I put them aside in hopes of finding time to read them
later.   Aside is where they stayed until someone on this list mentioned that
Sigurd Olson was a great writer and I recognized the name.  I dug out one of
the books and immediately started to read it.  The lister (whoever he/she
was) was right.

We have some wonderful people on this list with great insights and resources
to share.  Thanks.

Trailmixup