[at-l] Springer New Year

Pog, Dee, Gutsy, Firestarter and Coosa (or Howling Wolf) spent the 31st at Springer Mountain.  Coosa (she was trailangeling) brought up about 8 pounds of veggie chilli and the pot to heat it up in.  There were some hikers who had finished a Half-Thru there and Albatross was there, planning to start out on the first.  Also, some people who'd driven in from various places, some who'd finished their Thru earlier in the year, previous years, and a family with a little baby and a dog who'd driven from Michigan just to be on Springer on New Years (they had hiked up from Amicalola!)!  The chilli went fast.

We watched the sunset, then gathered around campfires, talked shared and at midnight, Dee (Gutsy was wearing her tiara by this time) and Pog (still wearing her tiara) pulled out fancy sparklers and blow-noisemakers (some were just fancy three way curls) and we played with them.  A group from the Shelter came up and we stayed up talking until around 1:30-2 when they headed back to the Shelter.

It rained during the night -- fog had been rolling in and out as we awaited the mid-night hour.  And we all got up rather late -- Albatross headed North as the Official First Millenium (or Year 2000) Thru-Hiker.  We slowly drifted our various ways, some to hike for a few days, others to cars and home.

I think we're planning to make this a YEARLY event -- so -- some of you may want to put it on your calendar for the end of this year!

I liked the comment Pog made about the discussions becoming 'feverish' around this time of the year -- maybe we can find a cure between now and next winter.

Happy Jubilee 2000 New Year, y'all,
Coosa
Howling Wolf

coosa@alltel.net
In the Year 2000, the Trail Name will be Howling Wolf, but the Trail Angel name will still be Coosa!